Why Brand Superfans Are the Holy Grail of Marketing
Superfans are your brand's most precious asset. They're passionate, engage with your content, share their love of your brand, are voracious customers, and make your brand exciting. They're basically a free marketing department.
The process of finding, nurturing, and replicating brand superfans remains a mystery. Let's break it down as best we can.
The Brand Superfan
Let's all get on the same page with a definition: They love your brand above all others, leave glowing reviews, buy and buy again, and spread the word to anyone who'll listen. In short, they cultivate brand interest, community, and relevancy.
There are tons of them in the music industry, but we've seen them everywhere from electric cars to snacks to streaming services. There's one thing all fandoms have in common: emotional connection.
Influence of Brand Superfans
Advocacy power is one of the most significant benefits of having brand superfans. Your superfans are passionate about your brand, and they don't hold back. You'll see them promote your products on social media, write positive reviews, create your own brand content, and even defend your brand against critics.
Brand superfan advocacy is incredibly valuable for reaching new customers, building trust, and increasing sales.
Insights from Superfans
You won't find feedback like this anywhere else but from superfans.
Since they have invested so much, they often want to make the brand even better. They highlight elements about your brand that you may have overlooked.
What we love most about superfans is how they speak. A few minutes in person or by reading a Reddit post will reveal that your brand is talked about in a certain way and may even have associated slang. For brand campaigns and insights, this is pure gold.
You most likely have brand superfans but don't know it (yet). You can identify superfans by tracking social media engagement and sales data. Look closely at your repeat purchasers to see if anyone is sending them to others - this is a sign they are a brand superfan.
Note - You can attempt to create superfans, although finding those who are already passionate is the best approach.
Once your fanbase has been identified, marketers should reach out to them and tell them they are valued. This can be done through event experiences, personalized messages, exclusive content, early access, and a few other ways outlined below:
- Give superfans opportunities to participate in the creative process. Invite them to review new designs or beta-test new products. This type of engagement makes superfans feel more connected to the brand and helps ensure what you produce is what people want.
- Reward superfans for their loyalty. Marketers should reward superfans for their loyalty with exclusive experiences and opportunities - digitally and in the real world.
- Create a superfan community. Connecting your superfans with others like them is the best thing to do. It could be as simple as hosting meetups in big cities or flying them out to HQ to see how the product is made.
- Partner with superfans for co-marketing campaigns. This could involve working with them to create sponsored content, host giveaways, or contribute ideas for product design.
- Brand superfans crave exclusive experiences and deeper connections. Indulge them with VIP access to your next event, host a pre-opening day just for them, and provide opportunities to meet and interact with the brand's designers or creators.
Superfans are your most valuable customers, and they can help you grow your business in ways you never imagined. You most likely already have brand fans. You just need to identify and nuture them into superfans!
Exclusive experiences make superfans feel valued and appreciated. And when you do something special for fans, it'll drive brand fandom far and wide.
Your brand was started to make people's lives better. So, why not partner up with those who appreciate you the most.