HBO Series Street Marketing Permit - Flatiron, New York City
Santander Bank Marketing Activation Permit - The Greenway, Boston
Yankee Stadium Park Product Sampling Permit Locaiton - Bronx, New York City
Santander Bank Marketing Activation Permit - Copley Square, Boston


Ensure your experiential marketing event with go without a hitch

Reserve permitted spaces frequented by your ideal audience

Get permitted space for large scale, elaborate marketing activations

Perfect for brand activities where your inviting influencers and media



An event marketing permit is required for elaborate experiential activities on city sidewalks, beach boardwalks, and pedestrian plazas.

Permission to activate is additionally needed for event marketing activations inside malls, transit stations, public parks and outdoor private property locations.

Marketing permits are required for outdoor marketing activations that require the use of site-specific locations (e.g., sidewalks, pedestrian plazas, parks, beaches, etc.), large freestanding structures (e.g., tents, stages, installations, etc.) and for a variety of smaller event elements (e.g., amplified audio, generators, truck parking, etc.)

ALT TERRAIN can assist with all aspects of the marketing permit process from submitting applications to event layout drawings to onsite pre-event walk-throughs with city officials.

It is best to start marketing permit process 90 to 120 days before the event date as in large cities (e.g. New York City, Chicago, Los Angeles, etc.) outdoor events spaces are limited and they often are reserved by companies far in advance.

Outlined below are descriptions of the most common permits related to outdoor event marketing events:

Sidewalk Marketing Permit is needed if you plan to place objects on public sidewalks (e.g. signage, tables, etc.) or if a specific city block is essential to the success of the marketing activation. For example, if a particular city block in New York City’s financial district is necessary to the success of your activation, then it is best to apply and secure a permit (otherwise there is a chance of being asked to leave by property owners, police, or other city officials).

Promotional Vehicle Parking Permit is needed if you want to park in a specific parking space on a certain day. It can be an event marketing vehicle that complements a street team sidewalk activation or a mobile billboard that needs to be parked outside near a particular building address.

Public Park, Plaza & Beach Marketing Permits are needed if you like to utilize public outdoor spaces for event marketing purposes. Typically outdoor spaces can be reserved for 12-24 hours although certain cities allow for longer engagements. Each public park, pedestrian plaza, and beach boardwalk have their own unique rules when it comes to event marketing elements, hours and availability.

Tent Permit & Freestanding Structure Permits are typically needed for tents larger than 10′ x 10′ and freestanding structures over 9.5′ in height (e.g. event entrances, stages, kiosks, step & repeats, etc.) to ensure they safe to utilize in outdoor environments. Note that engineer and city building department permits are required for large outdoor freestanding structures.

Amplified Audio Permit is needed if for stage performances, protests or other events that involved an amplified audio speaker set-up.

Vending Permit is required if your company plans to sell products to consumers at the marketing activation.

Fire Code Permit (also known as Flame Retardant Certificates) are often required for certain custom and fabric structures placed inside venues to ensure they be safe when exposed to lighting and won’t quickly incinerate if there is an accidental fire.

Generator Permit is required in most cities for outdoor events when a portable power supply is needed.

Filming Permit and a photography permits are not typically required if it occurs inside the footprint of your event; however, if you are filming outside the established boundaries they are recommended.

Health Department Permit is required for most outdoor activations that involve serving unpackaged foods or hand-made drinks.

Securing marketing permits can be a complicated process involving a variety of city departments, and may require months of lead-time. 

Contact ALT TERRAIN to learn how we can assist with providing an assessment of event permit pricing, the application process, and an estimate of city permit fees.

Play it safe and get permits!